Greatest of Ease


More stuff for 2015 hunt.  

51    IMAGE. Death's funeral. - Jessica Mary Hicks39 POINTS

52    IMAGE. You've been hired to design the cover of National Geographic's next issue, "Discovering The Padalecki." Do a drawing, painting or digitally created image (you may photoshop existing images for this item) of the new tropical species that has been discovered, much by accident, by workers building an inland dam.31 POINTS

53    IMAGE. There are roughly only 150 Sommeliers on the planet who have received the highest distinction a professional can attain in fine wine and are accordingly classified as "Master Sommeliers." Get a picture of you with a current Master Sommelier sipping pure kale (or cabbage) juice from a wine glass. Caption the image with "NAME OF SOMMELIER, renowned Master Sommelier says the official drink of Gishwhes is.." And then finish the caption with the sommelier's review of the juice.71 POINTS

Collapse )

123  VIDEO. Let's see an impressive post office conga line composed entirely of postal workers.39 POINTS

124  IMAGE. Get a coffee shop to create and run a drink special for Gishwhes and have it advertised on their menu board. - Anna Buffalo29 POINTS

125  IMAGE. Using food found in your refrigerator or pantry, recreate a national landmark. You may not use gummi bears.44 POINTS

word picture


I'm entererd into a scavenger hunt this week. I have seven days (along with my team of 15 people from all around the world that I've never met) to come up with some of these items. (These are the first 50, livejournal thinks the list is too long so my next four posts will be the rest of the list, under cuts.) I'm terribly excited about this.

If anyone sees something that they want to help me with, let me know!

1 IMAGE. Beautifully recreate one of these painting optical illusions or another one you find on the Internet using real bodies and/or props: POINTS
2 IMAGE or VIDEO. Do the one thing that you think, if everyone did it, would change the world for the better overnight. Caption the image or video with what you're doing.29 POINTS

3 IMAGE. Kick back in a hammock that's suspended from trees on opposite banks of a river. (Make sure it's a safe section of a river to be suspended over.)71 POINTS

4 VIDEO. Get 10 of your friends to stand on a field or lawn. Strap inflated balloons to 5 of your friends' stomachs. The other 5 friends must pop these balloons using only the impact and weight of their bellies or their bums (they can't use hands, feet, mouths, or anything sharp).71 POINTS

5 VIDEO. FELICIA DAY ITEM. Do a dramatic reading of your grade-school report card.22 POINTS

6 VIDEO. Design and operate electric or gas-powered "knee and elbow scooters." When you wear them, they must glide you down the street on your knees and elbows only. The device must be at least four separate pieces - not one or two platforms that you're lying on. You must wear a helmet or your item won't be accepted.118 POINTS

7 VIDEO. (Time lapse this down to 20 seconds.) Go to the top of a building and communicate with 4 other people on the rooftops of 4 other buildings using flags and the Flag Semaphore system as a mode of communication. The first person must spell out "GISHWHES". The second must spell out "MAKES" and the next must spell out "ME" and then the fourth must finish the sentence with whatever they wish. Subtitle each one on the video.63 POINTS

8 VIDEO. (Time lapse this down to 20 seconds.) You and a friend must build and launch two dueling paper airplanes using only your mouths to build and launch them.50 POINTS

9 IMAGE. A drawing, painting or digital image (no photoshopping of existing images) of Misha and the Queen as 1950 pin-up BFF girls.72 POINTS

10 VIDEO. Find someone you love and butter them up; literally, cover them in butter and then give them a big hug. - Carianne Steinman56 POINTS

11 VIDEO. Have at least 5 police officers with connected hands do a repeating breakdance wave in a ring and set it to a breakin' beat.34 POINTS

12 VIDEO or IMAGE. Show us what Supernatural will look like at the start of Season 50. -Sara and Caitlyn Cacador63 POINTS

13 VIDEO. (Video may be up to 20 seconds) Design and build a voice recognition device or robot stationed next to a toilet that flushes it when prompted by the voice command, "Crowley." We must see you speak for 10 seconds prior to saying "Crowley" (you can say whatever you wish for this 10 seconds) but only see the flushing when "Crowley" is uttered. We must see the speaker's face, the flushing mechanism and the toilet bowl in the video framing the entire time.84 POINTS

14 IMAGE. Glaciers are melting - so act accordingly. Pose at a major glacier wearing a swimsuit with floaties (automatic double the points if it's on the Khumbu Glacier at Everest Basecamp). Caption your image with "It's melting" (and then the glacier you're at). Don't cheat with where it's at. I've been to them all.83 POINTS

15 VIDEO. (Video may be up to 45 seconds.) Have an elderly relative take you back to an important location from their childhood and have them recount a memory of that spot. For example, they could take you back to the street corner where they learned to ride a bike and tell you about that day.68 POINTS

16 IMAGE. Create a beautiful tribute to the late Leonard Nimoy. - Annie K.29 POINTS

17 IMAGE. The 2015 gishwhes mascot Dinomite asks you to pick a number between 1 and 1000, asks you 10 questions with yes/no answers, and then guesses the number. What were the 10 questions?19 POINTS

18 IMAGE. Have at least 3 people in a domestic or office setting, completely camouflaged to match their background.52 POINTS

19 IMAGE. Have a tea party with a special needs child or pediatric cancer patient dressed as a character from "Alice in Wonderland."46 POINTS

20 IMAGE. Here's your hint: T11fJ-bSWI0. (Don't submit anything unless you solve the puzzle or you will be docked points.)43 POINTS

21 VIDEO. Get your local weatherhuman to do their weather report dressed as a superhero in drag.112 POINTS

22 IMAGE. Schools, hospitals, and prisons are notoriously dismal places that are in desperate need of art to brighten them up. Get permission from one of these places to create a giant Gishwhes-themed (mascots, items from the past, kindness, etc.) wall mural.83 POINTS

23 IMAGE. Tour a wastewater/sewage treatment factory dressed in formal attire with an accompanying violinist or flutist.82 POINTS

24 VIDEO. DAVID LAVERY ITEM. (Video may be up to 20 seconds.) NASA is an acronym for "National Aeronautics and Space Administration." Help celebrate that first "A" by creating the largest paper airplane you can make. It must be constructed SOLELY of paper and adhesive, and it must fly. For you to submit, it must have at least a 2 meter wingspan (but we expect much larger) and it must fly for at least 15 yards on level ground. Remember, PAPER and ADHESIVE only.115 POINTS

25 IMAGE or VIDEO. The corporate world needs to loosen up. Relocate a full playground swing set to a corporate plaza. Bonus points if it's being used by workers in suits.108 POINTS

26 IMAGE. ITEM WRITTEN BY JUSTIN GUARINI: Find Justin Guarini (legally) and strike this exact pose with him: POINTS

27 VIDEO. (Video may be up to 20 seconds.) Everyone likes drive-thrus and "Jeopardy." Combine them by going through a drive thru and making the employee guess your order by describing the items to them with the "answer."43 POINTS

28 IMAGE. Blow us away with your amazing cosplay as a famous inanimate object.58 POINTS

29 IMAGE. Show us your idea of love. Caption the image if you wish.41 POINTS

30 IMAGE. Support our troops. More than 10% of veterans that return from war suffer post traumatic stress syndrome. Tweet or post on FB or Instagram an image of you next to an armed serviceman, with you holding up a sign with a positive message or a message of kindness or gratitude to them and soldiers worldwide. Submit the screen cap of your post.49 POINTS
31 IMAGE. At the time I'm writing this, the price of crude oil is $48 per barrel. A barrel of oil is 42 gallons. So presumably for about $1.14, you should be able to get a gallon of crude oil. Let's see you handing $1.14 (or your country's currency equivalent) to an employee of an oil refinery, oil transportation or oil extraction company while they hand you one gallon of crude oil.28 POINTS

32 IMAGE. Write a thank you letter to a teacher or mentor from your past that you never sufficiently thanked. Mail it. You may submit an image of the letter, or if you wish it to remain private, submit an image of you mailing it. But you must mail it or bad karma will be rained down upon your toothbrush.24 POINTS

33 IMAGE. You will be docked points if you upload an image without solving the puzzle.30 POINTS

34 IMAGE. How do you do it? Everyone on your team has such beautiful mustaches? Do you have some sort of hair growth cream you slather on or pills you all take? Let's see a grid photo of everyone on your team that features your mustaches prominently.89 POINTS

35 IMAGE or VIDEO. Design a device that would allow a five ounce swallow to carry a one pound coconut. - Kristi Hollenbeck46 POINTS

36 IMAGE. Create a cocktail dress or tux out of flowers (you can use foliage, but at least 50% needs to be flowers). Photograph yourself in a contrasting "greenless" urban setting. - Olivia Desianti56 POINTS

37 VIDEO. It's another boring trapeze teleconference. Business attire required.79 POINTS

38 IMAGE. Time for the first annual (and possibly last ever) gishwhes Road Trip! See the map at the link below. Grab a friend and visit at least 9 (the more the merrier) of the points on the map. Have a passing tourist take a picture of you and your friend at each landmark (no selfies). Make sure we can see the landmark of each spot as part of the picture. You MUST REPLICATE the same pose for each photo and the pose you pick MUST be one that will make your tourist photographers laugh. Edit all images into a grid and submit as one image. It must be the same two people in the same pose and the same wardrobe at each location - POINTS

39 VIDEO. Somewhere, there is a robot that can break a Guinness World Record. Find it or create it and film it. (Note: This video can be as long as is required to show evidence of breaking the record. You do not need Guinness confirmation during the Hunt that the record is broken, but you do need to apply for the record and really break it. You will need to email proof to that your record was approved by Guinness after the Hunt. DO NOT SUBMIT IF YOU DO NOT BREAK THE RECORD OR YOU WILL BE DOCKED POINTS.)148 POINTS

40 IMAGE. They say, "A dog is a man's best friend," but they are sexist. Dogs can be women's best friends too. To prove it, make one entirely out of feminine hygiene products. The dog must be at least 40 centimeters tall. (See how international we are? Look at these units!)38 POINTS

41 IMAGE. The cats are coming! Prepare your dog for battle. Outfit him or her with armory, weaponry, cutting edge laser gear - whatever it takes to create a canine of mass destruction.43 POINTS

42 IMAGE. You've just received an invitation to the annual Color Me Pretty Construction Paper Gala. Design and wear an elegant gown consisting of only construction paper. You must be posed with a antique or hotrod car/motorcycle (that will take you to the Gala, of course) or in front of the Gala itself which takes place in the most stunning public building of your city.41 POINTS

43 VIDEO. Use aerial footage to capture you and 40 or more of your friends in a field or open space, milling about aimlessly and then, all at once, quickly aggregating to spell either "GISHWHES", "KALE" or something more inspired with your bodies.69 POINTS

44 IMAGE. Let's see a portrait of Robert Downey, Jr. or Ironman made entirely of salt and pepper. Tweet it to him (@robertdowneyjr) with @gishwhes in the tweet. SUBMIT a link to the image to us, NOT a link to an image of the tweet - but you must tweet it to him for your image to count.51 POINTS

45 IMAGE. Take a photo of you posing with Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. In the photo, they are giving the "thumbs up" sign while you are giving the "thumbs down" sign. You cannot photoshop an image of you and an image of one of them together. You must be standing next to the real individual.248 POINTS

46 IMAGE. Congratulations! You've won a one-way trip to colonize Mars! Unfortunately, you can't bring a checked bag and your carry on must not exceed 10kg. Lay out everything you would pack on your bed in an orderly manner. You will live off of Martian dust mite dung; so don't worry about snacks unless it's a comfort food you can't live without.19 POINTS

47 VIDEO. Stop hiding your true talent. The world deserves to see it. Without using special effects or trick editing, make a person disappear.26 POINTS

48 IMAGE. Take your mom, dad or other family member that you don't give enough attention to (based on what they've done for you over the years, or perhaps, what you've done to them) to lunch or dinner. Both of you must be cosplaying established or newly invented comic book heroes. If you've created new heroes, caption the image with their names.61 POINTS

49 VIDEO. It's time to get some fresh air. Take your (at least) 3 pet robots out for a walk. You, of course, should be wearing your homemade Robot Leader Helmet.81 POINTS

50 VIDEO. Your friend loves cake, so being a good friend, you offer to take them out for cake at a nice restaurant. Alas, you discover when you arrive at the restaurant, that your friend has recently undergone medical treatments that prevents them from moving their arms, so you will have to feed them. Unfortunately, light is harmful to your eyes so you must be blindfolded. While blindfolded, stand behind your seated friend in a fancy restaurant and put your arms under their armpits and feed them cake with your hands. Trust us. This is going to work out beautifully.50 POINTS

A pox on both your houses

I blame an outbreak of herpes zoster on my poor math skills.

When I was in 8th grade, we were in a pre-algebra class taught by the middles school math teacher, Sister Teresa.  (I think it was Sister Teresa. There were a few Sister Teresas in my elementary and middle school, and it was sometimes hard to remember which one was which. At any rate, she as was a nun, and she seemed to know her math stuff.)  I'd been in catholic school for pretty much my entire primary education, so nuns were old hat to me at this point. She was a good teacher, and she figured out that there were a few of us in the class that were ahead of everyone else.  After maybe a month of watching us, she pulled the four or five of us aside and created lessons deeper into algrebra for us.  We met in the same classroom as the rest of our class, but we were given different assignments further along in the textbook.  Intead of pre-algebra, we were learning algebra, and we were doing well.

At some point in the middle of the school year, Sister Teresa disappeared from the classroom.  Shingles, we were told.  It was a horrible, terrible, painful disease.  She couldn't possibly come back.

The rest of the school year was a succession of math teachers who never lasted more than a few weeks.  The group that I was learning algebra with mustered on, using the teacher's manual as a guide. We told our successive teachers what we were doing, and as these people had no idea, they just let us teach ourselves.

In the meantime, I took the placement exams, did the interview, and otherwise kicked ass to get into St. John's for high school. It was a huge achievement. I think they only let in seven or eight kids that year, and none of the kids from my school were going.  As far as I understood it, I knew algebra, but my group of advanced math students had only scratched the surface.

Fortunately, the placement exam at St. John's caught the lapses in my previous education.   The summer between eighth and ninth grade, I spent taking algebra again. And my counselors recommended that I not take too much math when I first got to St. John 's because it would overwhelm me.  So I ended up on a track that didn't include Calculus at all in my high school career.  This it turns out, went on to screw up a few things, including my physics class.  I was a straight A physics student, until we got to accelleration, where it's SOOO much easier if you know calculus. Same for a lot of price theory in microeconomics in college.

By the time I got to college, I was terrfiied of math, and I convinced myself that I wasn't very good at it. It wasn't until I totally fell in love with statistics that I got my confidence up again on things math.  I put a lot of the blame of this on that Shingles outbreak on my 8th grade math teacher.   I sort of developed a terror of shingles. I mean, it took my teacher out for the whole school year! It must be terrible.

Going back even further, in 1983, when I was ten years old, I caught the chicken pox.  It was going around that same catholic school, and I brought it home and gave it to all of my siblings. We spent a week in itchy misery and went on our merry ways.

Fast forward to sometime last week when a rash appeared on my shoulder. Given how much yoga I do and the location of the rash, I thought it was some sort of dermatitus caused by sweat, soap, and the rubbing of an ill placed bra strap.  When it didn't go away after a few days, I thought that maybe it was an allergic reaction to a suppliement that I was taking.  But it was localized to the top of my shoulder, and it was growing.  I was sick on Friday, sleeping from 9:00 p.m. until 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.  And it got to the point that anything on it hurt.

So I yesterday, I consulted Dr. Google, looking for rashes that looked like mine; the second I got the shingles hit, I knew what was up.  I called my dad for consultation, who was useless. ("It's usually on the torso, and it's usually pretty painful.")  And then I got a second opinion from my godfather, who is an infectious disease specialist. The second he saw my rash, he wrote me a prescription for the anti-virals.

It's shingles.  But I'm not out. It's a right pain in the ass (or shoulder, as the case may be), and it's definitely not something to treat lightly, but it's not worth runing a math career over.    

Shake, shake, shake!

So Graham's dj career has been moving forward nationally and internationally.  Tour in England in 2013, invitation to Vancouver a year ago.  Trips to the midwest and West Coast on the books for the summer.   Last year, he djed a fundraiser for a Burning Man project with two other djs, and the dance floor was pretty full the entire time.  It was a great crowd and the music was just awesome.   The theme of that particular party was Speakeasy, and for Graham and Electroswing, it was just perfect.  It was one of the best sets I've ever heard Graham put together, and I still play it fairly regularly.

Based off of that performance, a friend ask him to dj the latter part of his birthday party in late October, with about 600 people in attendance. The band was a Prince cover band, so Electroswing wasn't exactly the music to play, but Graham had something else in mind he wanted to show off: Ghetto funk.  He had to work that night at his regular gig at Prohibition, and the schedule was pretty tight.   The band didn't get off stage until nearly 1:00, and Graham didn't start until nearly 1:30.  Fortunately, it was the day daylight savings came back, so Graham had an extra hour in there to get us moving.

It was an off the hook, insane set.  We danced for hours it seemed, and every song was just perfectly meshed with the one before. He built us up and tore us down. He got down and dirty and nasty and we loved it loved it loved it.  We danced and danced and danced.  Even after his set was over, he plugged into the house system and popped on a prerecorded set so we could keep on dancing if we wanted to.  It was an insanely awesome set, and we were still riding the high of it (and maybe something else) when we got home at 6:00 a.m. We were riding the high of it days later.

We go to this party every year. We go to Flipside every year. And maybe we go to two or three other dance-all-night sort of things in the course of the year. But our days of dancing all night are over, and if Graham's out past two a.m, it's because he's on the decks.  But coming off of the high of the set, we started thinking about other dancing opportunities that didn't involve a full day of recovery.

When Graham had been in England the year before, a brand new idea was just taking off in London: Morning Gloryville. Some of the djs that Graham met in England said that the vibe at these morning dance parties was just awesome.  And over the course of the year, the idea started to take off in other cities.  Another version of it started in New York, called Daybreaker.  The basic idea is a dance party in the early morning, mid-week.  Before work, maybe after the kids are dropped off at school.  Maybe that's the one day a week that you're a little late.  Instead of alcohol and/or drugs, juice and coffee bars.  Instead of flashing lights, the sun comes up.  Instead of going to the gym, get a workout shaking your tail feathers to rocking djs.

We started talking about it for a month or two.  We were brainstorming places it might work, or at least what our requirements for a place would be: natural light, fairly far from residential neighborhoods so as not to piss off anyone with the music at 6:00 a.m., a central, easy-to-find location that's not too far from either work or home. I came up with a name for a party if we have one in Houston: Wake 'n' Shake. We talked about it with some friends and people who we thought might want to get involved.  We got some interest.

In the meantime, I started a 40 Days of Yoga project in January at Big Power Yoga. It's a very intense, very accountability driven project. You're requried to practice yoga six days a week for six weeks. You're also required to attend a group meeting once a week that focuses on tools that you use outside your asana practice.  In addition, there's a three day cleanse during Week 4. And there's a mindful eating portion.  At the end of each week, the studio checked to see if participants met their attendance obligations for the week, and if so, we were allowed to move on to the next week.   About 800 people started the 40 days, and I think there were about 350 that finished. I hadn't done serious yoga since 2007, and I knew that this was a way to get me back into it seriously, because my "oh, I'll go tomorrow" method wasn't working at all.

In one of the group meetings, a guy in the meeting talked a little about djing.  I talked a little about Burning Man.  After the meeting was over, we found each other. He, it turns out, is a Burner. We talked about Burning Man, and then went into the "do-you-know" game.  And over the course of the conversation, we discovered that he was one of the other djs that Graham had spun with at the fundraiser in August. I very casually asked if he was interested in a morning dance party idea, and he immediately said he had a location for something like that in mind.  By the time Graham picked me up, I had his contact information. By the end of the week, he and Graham were in communication and actually working on the project.

In mid-February, Graham and I went to Taos for a week. We had no agenda (aside from my having to do yoga once a day, but Shree Yoga is an absolutely fantastic studio).  We cooked and walked around town and went to the mountain and played with the dogs. I don't think we turned on the TV once.  And we talked.  For both of us, the trip was cleansing and inspiring, and we both came back from it full of energy and new ideas and motivation.  It was one of the best vacations we'd ever been on.

In March, Graham joined the yoga studio, and he also caught the yoga bug.  And in that time he and John had determined a date and finalized the location.  They found another DJ who was as excited about the idea as they were. And the project started coming together.  They launched the facebook page in late March, and the invitation to the party in early April. Graham did an interview with an awesome organization called We Play Everywhere to help promote the event.  And most of the people we've talked to about the idea are pretty excited.

The event is slated to run from 6:30 a.m. until 10:30 a.m on Wednesday May 6. Boomtown Coffee is on board to provide caffine, and E-dub-a-licoius is a go for food. They're finalizing the juice vendor, but it's going to be really good too.   The location is very close to downtown, and has an awesome feature that will really highlight the event.  Graham aka The Grahamaphone, John Tran aka DJ Kung Fu Pimp, and JD Notic will be on the decks.

One of the things that Graham was asked during the interveiw last week was whether he'd ever been to one of these before.  He said no.  And the interveiwer was delighted.  There aren't any rules or expectations to something so very brand new.  We have no idea how many people will show up, though 100 or so have said so on Facebook and we've heard that a lot of others have heard about the event and have expressed interest.  We have no idea what the population will be. Houston is a very diverse city. Who is going to come to this?  We imagine that some people will come early and leave early because they have to go to work. Some people will come later, because really 6:30 is really early.  Some people will be late for work. Some people might bring their kids. People may wear workout gear or what they're wearing to work or decide to dress in costume and be silly.  What we absolutely know is that the people who come will be interested in trying something new. Because the likelihood is that not many people here in Houston have been to one of these either.  So we can create our own and bring awesome energy and make this an amazing event that grows off of the participants in it.  We know that people in this city get up early and work out. Why not have the workout be a dance? 

Baby all I need is a shot in the arm

Last night, my brother-in-law and I, much to the relief of our spouses, went to see Wilco together.  Matthew is as big of a Wilco fan as I am, and being from Chicago, he's had more opportunity to see them. Graham--who has been dragged to many a Wilco show with me by default--had to work, and Claudia has passing familiarity with Wilco, but said it'd be much better if just Matthew and I went.   The show was awesome, and we had an excellent time.

At some point in the evening, Jeff Tweedy said that exactly ten years ago they'd played in the exact same room, though I think it was named after a different corporate entity. I did some mental calculations and realized I'd been to that show too!

So I went to the ever helpful to help me figure out which shows I've been too.

April 23, 2015: Houston, Texas, Bayou Music Center.  This was last night's show, and it was the second date of the 20th anniversary tour.  Since Jeff Tweedy and his son Spencer were working on a side project for most of last year, there wasn't much new material, but with 20 years of work, there's a lot to choose from.  They played with arrangements and had a fantastic time. Art of Almost was an early standout.   Nels Cline just flat out owns Handshake Drugs, but Jeff proved he's no slouch with At Least That's What She Said. My favorite Jesus, Etc. was of course played (and sung along by pretty much the whole crowd), as was Heavy Metal Drummer.  For the final encore, the entire band huddled in the middle of the stage unplugged. Mics were brought close to the instruments, and the crowd reacted to the intimacy of the presentation really, really well. But for being so stripped down, it was a lot of fun too.  Nels Cline and Pat Sansone dueled lap steel guitar against banjo for most of Hoodoo Voodoo.  All in all, it was an awesome show, and it's outstanding that my sister married someone with such impeccable musical tastes.

October 11, 2013: Austin, Texas, Stubbs Bar-B-Q.  This was a pre-ACL show, and Graham had a gig on sixth street the same night.  A friend of Graham's from high school lives in Austin and she volunteers for an organization that cleans up and recycles after concerts. So they get to go to shows for free AND they get in early for prime locations.  It had been raining all day, but right as the show was supposed to start, the rain started to dissapate.  Graham dropped me off at the venue and introduced me to his friend, and then he went off to set up for his own show. I went to maybe the best Wilco show I've ever seen.  The crowd was all me and Matthews: knew every song, loved everthing there is to love about Wilco, totally into it.  I got the impression the band was totally into it too. They played 33 songs that night, and it lasted for hours.  After helping to clean up (which took all of ten minutes), I walked back to my car, changed, and then went to Graham's gig totally high from the Wilco show.

May 6, 2011: Houston, Texas, Verizon Wireless Theater (which is the same venue as Bayou Music Center).  This was the show we went to six days after our accident.  It was the first time since the accident that I smiled.  This is what I wrote to the band afterwards through their website:

I don't know if this sort of letter gets to the band or not, but I wanted to thank them profusely for the show on Friday night in Houston, Texas.
I was in a pretty horrible car accident on Saturday, April 30.  I was hit on the side, and car rolled over two and a half times on the freeway.  After the accident was over, I was banged up, my fiance was banged up and my dog was missing.  Fortunately, miraculously, she somehow managed to escape the car unscathed and was returned to us about ten minutes after the accident.

The following week was surreal. We ached all over, we were baffled on how we all managed to survive, and we had to deal with the day to day crap associated with losing your car and dealing with insurance companies and the police.

On Friday, though, we got to go to the show.  My fiance said that he hadn't seen me smile since the accident.  And not only did I smile, I danced and sang and yelled and, to the extent my neck injury would let me, I bounced around a lot.  I was joyful for the first time in a week, and I didn't once think about he sound of metal hitting metal, or the feeling having no control at all as my car rolled over and over, or the horror of thinking that my sweet puppy dog had been killed or severely injured in the crash and there was nothing I could do about it.

We left a little early, because we're still tender, and being jostled by a departing crowd would have probably hurt. But I wanted to stay and absorb the music for hours and hours and hours.

So thank you. Thank you very much for putting on such a wonderful show, and for making me so happy.

It was something I needed very badly.

Whoever gets their fan mail wrote me back within hours:

Hi Christina

wow... we are all so relieved that you, your fiance and puppy are alright!  That was great you were still able to attend the Wilco show.... it means alot to the band that they can make folks happy and forget about their troubles.

we wish you both a speedy recovery

It was my most needed Wilco show.

March 7, 2008: Houston, Texas, Verizon Wireless Theater. This was the first Wilco show I ever took Graham too.  He'd just moved to Houston, and we were in the early part of our relationship. It was the first show of any kind that we'd been too together. Graham had been to the venue as a stagehand back in another life, so he was familiar with the venue.  He'd been a big Uncle Tupelo fan, and he respected Jeff Tweedy but confessed he was bigger Son Volt fan than Wilco. I maintain that there can be enough love in the world for both.  The opener was John Doe, who was outstanding and set a great tone for the night.  This show was deep into the Wilco tour, so Tweedy's voice was shot when he was talking, but he managed to keep it together when he was singing.  It was great.  A few months later, we saw Son Volt at the Continental Club.

September 16, 2007: Austin, Texas, Austin City Limits Music Festival.  I didn't know it at the time, but this was the last ACL I went to.  I'd met Graham less than three weeks before, and I was still riding the high of my first Burning Man.  I was technically doing ACL by myself that year, but some friends found me and I spent more time at their house than I did the festival.  I did make sure to go to the Wilco set though. This is what I said about it at the time:

They gave Wilco an hour and 15 minutes when they usually give an hour. It was awesome. I know I say that every time I hear them, but dammit...I'm not the only one. Look at This blog report of the taping of their Austin City Limits television show set the night before. It's the little things with them. Like Tweedy going acoustic for "I am going to break your heart." And the big things, like the amazing guitar solos that seemed to just take over the world. And the craziness around him with drums and guitar and other noise while Jeff sings softly and calmly to the lyrics of "Via Chicago." The set was pretty heavy with Sky Blue Sky, but as always, they played a lot from various albums. I've heard "Walken" so many times live now, it surprises me it's only been released on Sky Blue Sky. I actually was sort of surprised that "The Late Greats" wasn't played because I've heard it so many times live now... I don't really know how to express how much I love hearing this band, especially with Nels Cline at guitar now. It's possibly my perfect band. I was standing there, singing along with thousands of other die hard Wilco fan and I was perfectly happy. I could have just gone to this show and I would have been fine with my ACL experience.

It was a great end to my ACL years, and hopefully we'll go back sooner or later.

October 13, 2006, San Antonio, Texas, Sunset Station. This was also a very needed show.  I'd spent the summer recovering from a bad breakup, and I was just then coming out of my shell.  One of the things I'd done in my recovery was determine that I would start doing things because I wanted to rather than because I was expected to. I really wanted to go see Wilco, and this was the closest show on their current tour. (It was the closest for a lot of Wilco fans: Austin and Dallas got skipped that tour too, so there were a lot of out-of-towners who made the trek to San Antonio that day.)   I got off of work at 5:00 and drove three and a half hours by myself to San Antonio to go to the show. It was great.  I bonded with other Wilco fans; I got close enough to the stage so I could see everything perfectly; and I had an excellent time.  At this show, after a summer of sadness, I gave myself permission to be happy.

By the time of "Shot in the Arm," I was fully into the show and singing along and dancing and totally into the whole experience. I found myself, from time to time, grinning like an idiot. You know there are moments in your life where you actually acknowledge that you're feeling very happy? This show was a series of those moments.

It was a good thing for me.

September 25, 2005, Austin, Texas, Austin City Limits Music Festival This was a weird ACL, in that it was immediately after the Hurricane Rita evacuation, and I was meeting my new boyfriend there. There were a lot of logistical problems with a) getting out of Houston (we rocked that), b) meeting up with my boyfriend (there was a lot of flight changing), and c) dealing with the dust at ACL itself (there was no grass that year to hold it down, and there was tons and tons of wind). Nevertheless, we prevailed and saw all three days of the show AND focused on Wilco's set on the last day.  It was the last set we saw that day after a pretty incredible day of music (including Bob Mould's first live performance in YEARS).

April 23, 2005, Houston, Texas, Verizon Wireless Theater. Ten years ago!  I went to this show by myself and had a BLAST.  Since I was alone, I could wiggle my way closer to the front. The show was plagued early on with technical difficulties, but the energy was awesome.  I ran into three friends from three different parts of my world that night, and we all were riding Wilco highs.

The Wilco show on Saturday night was one of the best concert events I've ever been to. From the moment that they took the stage until the house lights came on, I was riveted. The whole set was tight, despite some major technical difficulties with amps and guitars. They covered a lot of material in the two hours that they played, covering all five albums. What I thought was amazing was that I saw them at ACL in September, and this show was completely different than that set. Contrast to Modest Mouse, who had a nearly identical set in February as their ACL set.

This is probably the show where I transitioned from generally liked their music to true fan.

September 19, 2004, Austin, Texas, Austin City Limits Music Festival.  This was my first Wilco show and my second ACL.  I'd gone to ACL that year meeting up with a bunch of lawyers from my lawyer board as well as Claudia, and there was a lot of complicated scheduling that ensued.  I had all of Wilco's catalog on CD at that point, but I'd never seen them live before.  I was, as I described, mellow but intense.

And so, a decade plus of going to Wilco shows, and I'm not at all sick of them in the slightest.  Last night's show was outstanding, and I love that the band and its fans have such an awesome rapport.  I was reading a review yeterday of a Hozier show at the same venue a few nights before (and another from about a month ago, I didn't know Hozier liked Houston so much). The reviewer lamented that in our ADHD society, audiences, especially in Houston, don't have the capacity to shut the fuck up and listen to the music. This was not the same crowd.  Obviously, Hozier doesn't have the 20 plus years to develop a loyal, music dorky fan base that Wilco has, but I didn't feel the notorious bad, unengaged crowd that Houston has apparently become famous for.  We were on the balcony, and while I saw a few LED screens every now and then, most people were focused more on the show than on their devices.  At most, people were sending out quick media updates or grabing a picture and then putting their phones away.


A wedding quilt

So about two years ago, I went to the Fresh Arts gala. It was at the Winter Street studios, and there was a bridal theme to the event. I wore a bridesmaid's dress that I'd spattered in all sorts of fun colors, and it was all and all an excellent time.

My sister Claudia was there, and after the party was over, she asked me for a ride to the next event. Since Graham was dealing with his DJing equipment, I said sure thing, hop in!  Claudia and a guy named Matthew started walking with me to the car.  I'd met Matthew several years before at a New Year's Eve party at Claudia's house, and we'd been facebook friends for years. But I didn't know him well.  After I dropped them off at a bar, Matthew thanked me profusely, and I smiled at Claudia

Fast forward 18 months, and Claudia and Matthew eloped in Nicaragua.  I'd known, of course, and I'd even suggested that country as a possible place when Matthew started looking. And I was over the moon.  In the intervening time, Claudia and Matthew became Claudia and Matthew.  Everyone who saw them together said "wow, this makes so much sense."  They'd known each other for years, but 2013 seemed to be the right time for them to connect.  By the time they got married, they had been living together for awhile, and D'arcy was as much Claudia's dog as he was Matthew's.  My family adored Matthew, and he got along with every single one of us individually.  I'd never in my life seen Claudia so comfortable, and I was overjoyed that she'd found Matthew.

So I wanted to make them something special for their wedding.  Given their elopement, I didn't have any real time constraints, though I wanted to get it to them within the year. I thought about it for awhile, and then I decided that I was going to have a ton of time to myself in Taos over a week in the summer, and I could make them a quilt.  I'd had so much fun the previous year making a quilt there that I could do the same this year.

In 2013, I'd gone to the quilt show with Olivia and my mom, and I found some lovely fabrics from Africa at a store called Akonye Kena.  These fabrics were from Uganda and they were hand dyed. They had these lovely, rich colors, and I just fell in love with them.  The fabrics came in four tone families: Sunrise - Spring  light tones; Rainy - Summer bright tones; Dry - Autumn/Fall earthy tones; and Sunset - Winter rich tones. I ended up buying two jelly rolls, which had one strip of each of the 40 fabrics, and two yards of the sunset purple fabric.  This fabric felt more like linen than the quilting fabric you usually find in stores, and when I bought it, I had no idea what I was going to do with it.

It was solid instead of printed, but I thought that it was perfect for Claudia and Matthew.  In part because Claudia is a very solid person, with few prints in her wardrobe or home.  And that it was from Africa had another nice connection for them. Claudia minored in African studies in college, and Matthew spent part of his childhood in Liberia.  They went to Morrocco their first Christmas together. While neither had a particular connection to Uganda, I thought they'd like the reference.

As for the pattern, I fell in love with this Simply Woven pattern at the Moda Bake shop.  I liked how busy and intricate it was, and I thought it was something that I could do.  It was also scalable, and I could make a slightly bigger quilt for two people to get under. Also, there's a running joke in the family that Matthew likes shapes.  He is an engineering professor and spends a vast amount of time studying the shape of things.  I thought that all of the shapes in this particular quilt would make him pretty happy.

My only real issue was that I didn't have enough fabric.  I needed at least two more jelly rolls, and I thought I needed more of the purple.  I got in touch with Akonye Kena to order the fabric, but they were out of the purple.  I sent pictures of what I had and a description of what I wanted to do, and they sent me an amazing blue instead.  The blue was kismet. One of the highlights of Claudia and Matthew's trip to Morocco was to Majorelle Garden in Marrakesh, which is owned by Yves St. Laurent.  This particular color blue is very prominent throughout the garden, and it's a striking, memorable color.  That I was able to reference the same color in the quilt was awesome, AND it turned out that the Akoyne Kena fabrics are on a 58" bolt, so I had enough purple.  I could use the blue on the back.

sunset blue751px-Marrakech_Majorelle_Garden_2011

I set off to Taos ready to make my quilt.  This one was much, much more ambitious than the one I made before.  I had tons of cutting and ironing and arranging to do before I could even start. And I also had to think through how much of each color I wanted to highlight.


I spent most of my time in Taos working on the quilt. I did read a little, and I cooked. I went to the farmer's market. The puppies and I took long walks every day.  We went to the mountain one day. I took a spa day another. But most of the time was spent working on the quilt.  While I was working on it, I used a playlist that Claudia had made for some party or another, and it was very random, but very Claudia: Lots of Leonard Cohen. Lots of Nina Simone. Lots of Los Super Seven. Some Tina Turner. Some Pixies. Some Springsteen. The Faint. Cafe Tacuva.

I also thought a lot about my Tia Ana.  A lot of my sewing notions had come from her: after she'd died, her family gave most of her sewing stuff to Olivia. It was way too much for one person, so Olivia gave half of it to me.  Ana was the reason we have Taos.  She'd lived there from 1986 to 1999, and we spent most of the 90s coming up to visit her.

And so I sewed.


If you go to the quilt's album on Flickr, you'll get a better step-by-step rendering of how it was put together.  Suffice to say, I had to sew, then press, then cut, then repeat. Over and over and over again, until I had 56 12.5" squares.  It was challenging in that I hadn't done this in a year, and some of the strips were not quite 2.5" wide.  But I made due and remembered that the quilt should be like their marriage, beautiful as a whole but with imperfections and flaws and wrinkles throughout.  I'm so happy to report that I was able to do all of that in the week that I was in Taos.

When I got back to Houston, I went straight to my parents' house, because I knew there was a big surface I could use to assemble the pieces like a puzzle.


I put them all together, and my quilt top was done less than a month after I started it.


I took some time off to think about how to do the back.  I love, love, loved the blue, but I also wanted something more interesting than the solid color.  I did a search on pinterest for "pieced quilt backs" for inspriation, and thought abut it for a long while. I had a whole jelly roll left over, and I had some of the purple and a few assorted strips. Ultimately, I decided to sew all of the jelly roll strips together side by side in ascending tone of color from darker to lighter, and then I cut those into an 8 inch wide, long long strip.  I sewed all of this over a few episodes of Outlander, and it turned out pretty good.

Finally, I figured out how I wanted to attach the jelly roll stripe to the blue, and I got to sewing the very last bit together.  I ended up loving the back as much as I love the front.

I have a bottom-of-the line Singer sewing machine. If I could quilt a project this big on my machine (which I think is doubtful), it would take me YEARS to get it done.   I spent a few weeks looking at the various maker spaces around town to see if anyone had a long arm machine.  No luck.  I called around, and I found out that the closest quilt shop to me, Tea Time Quilting, has a person who will do long arm quilting for a reasonable fee.  In early December, I took the quilt and the back to her, and I asked her to quilt the project for me.

Last week, she called to tell me that it was done, and Saturday, January 24, I picked it up.  I spent Friday and Saturday and Sunday working on binding the quilt, the very last step, and on Sunday, right before the Superbowl, I gave it to Claudia and Matthew. They both cried. And they lived happily ever after.

IMG_2630 IMG_2633IMG_2631


pixie's stina

Day three!

So if you do a 90 minute yoga class one day, the next day's 60 minute yoga class is infinitely better.   Here's hoping that tomorrow's 60 minute class is that much better.

I haven't actually done yoga before Monday in about 10 months.  I had a really awesome practice for a week in New Mexico about 18 months ago, and I decided that I wanted to do more yoga. But that's around the time that I hit a rut, and I didn't really do all that much pretty much worth noting at all.  

Last spring, I checked out the studio I am using now, and I really liked it.  But it's taken me this long to get motivated enough to use it.

When I heard about the 40 days thing, I knew that it was the type of motivation I needed to get going again.  It's structured, it's goal oriented, and it offers no real excuses given that the studio's first class is at 5:15 in the morning and the last one is at 10:00 at night and there are a good 8 to 10 every day in between. It's also less than a mile for my house.  I tried to do it last October, but it had already started.

Signing up was easy.  And the studio has a nice phone app that makes scheduling classes very easy.  We all signed up for teams last week, and a facebook page was set up for our team to support each other and share advice.  There was a conference call on Sunday to go over everything, and we started on Monday.

We're supposed to go to one class a day Monday through Saturday, taking Sunday off.  We're also supposed to meditate every day, starting with 5 minutes the first week and moving up to 30 by the last.  I am using a phone app for that.  We're also supposed to be considering mindful eating, which I'm glad to be back on. And we're supposed to go to a weekly meeting, which I'll do tomoror or Saturday.  There's also a book we're supposed to read. I bought it, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm pretty ok with most of this.  I am not as woo woo as some people, but I certainly don't have a problem with it.

The yoga itself is a vinyasa flow, in a heated but not hot room. The studios are huge, and one of the rooms theoretically can fit 100 people. I'm not sure if I've ever been in it with that many, but a lot of people use this studio.

The only real issue is parking, but when I got there this morning, I didn't have a problem.  I think that most morning people go to the 5:00 or 6:15 class. I go to the 7:00 which is too late for a lot of people, but too early for the people who don't have work committments.  At any rate, that's the main class I've been going to.


I'm supposed to be journaling anyways

I'm doing a 40 days of yoga thing right now, and there's a journaling component. I have been doing some of it on a paper journal I bought for the exercise, but what the hell.  I saw that there was some sort of effort to get back to livejournal by a bunch of friends, and this seems a nice serendipidy.

At any rate, today was day two of yoga, and i'm already in pain.  I know that the pain is good pain, but it's been awhile since I've taken on something like this.  The last time was a barre bootcamp in late 2011.  I have to get up early tomorrow for a class, having finished one less than 12 hours prior. But that's the way my schedule works these days.

I like the classes, and there's a lot of support from my particular yoga studio. Facebook groups, e-mails, a very supportive community within the practice. And I know that since I have so much yoga ahead of me, I can always throw myself into child's pose for a few minutes during every class and no one will think poorly of me.

In other stuff, we're still in the design portion of the house addition. We met with the architect last week, and we're getting closer and closer to a design that will be eventually sent to the city for permiting.  We may wait a little before we start construction, though, because the price of oil dropping means that there've been a lot of layoffs in Houston latley.  And the crazy busy construction boom that's been going on without end in sight over the last five years or so may finally be slowing down.  We may be able to get some decent pricing on some of the construction.

Work is work, and I'm sort of in a state of shock that I've been at the same place for nearly 13 years.  It seems like I just moved back to Houston. But it also seems like I've been here forever.  

Fusilli is still showing, but we may pull him back from that. It's something we need to figure out sooner or later. I like the puli community quite a bit, both locally and globally online.  It's been a really nice support system, and Fusilli and I have bonded quite considerably with the conformation work.  This isn't to say that Celosa and I haven't bonded, but he's very into it in a way she would never be.

At any rate, I have an early morning yoga class to get to.   


Ice Bucket Challenge

In 1992, four or five days after the Rodney King riots in South Central Los Angeles, my friends and I went to South Central to help clean up.  We'd all tried to protest when the verdict was handed out, but we were easily dispersed when the Claremont riot police showed up after our attempt to take over Foothill, which was the closest major road to our college.  Desperate to do SOMETHING we spent a day knee deep in muck and burned out buildings, sweeping streets and otherwise trying to do what we could to help in a situation that was pretty helpless. There were still national guardsmen on the street, and we got turned away more than once by people in military uniforms with machine guns.

After we came back to our dorms, exhausted, dirty, and totally disenchanted with how little we could help when we really, really wanted to, a massive, massive water gun/balloon/any-other-way-of-hurling-water-at-each-other-fight broke out.  Dozens of us were drenched to the skin, and we had a complete blast doing it.

I think the nation is doing the same thing in the wake of Furgeson and Gaza and Syria and Iraq and just all of the fucked upedness of the last week or so, and the Ice Bucket Challenge is the US equivalent to a bunch of college kids throwing water on each other in an attempt to be lighthearted and fun and forget about how awful the rest of the world is and that there's not much we can do about it.


Spring Finals Mix 1996

I've been listening to the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Volume One this morning.  It really is awesome.

Like everyone who grew up in the 70s, 80s and 90s, I made tapes as well.

It started when I was really young, taping songs I liked off of the radio.  The beginning would always be cut off, unless the DJ announced that he or she was going to play it beforehand and I had some heads up that the song was coming.  The end may or may not be faded into another song or abruptly cut off as the DJ started talking over it.   Mostly Duran Duran got taped, but there were tons of other songs as well.  When I was really young, I generally listened to top 40 pop on whatever call letters Q-zoo had, though for some reason, I got hooked on Psychedelic Sundays on KLOL at a fairly young age. When I got older, I moved over to the hard rock on KLOL. As far as the early mixes go, there wasn't any sort of cohesion at all in the playlist selection.  The ordering was whatever order I happened to tape something.  VHS tapes were similar; a friend taped various movies off of HBO for us, and I remember one particular tape had Empire Strikes Back and the Breakfast Club on it.

Like Peter Quill, I had a walkman with my music on it.  Mine was the yellow sports version, with a "water tight" seal.  At some point, someone gave me a discman, but it wasn't as portable, because it would skip if it was moved even a fraction of an inch. I think I still have it in a box somewhere.  But that walkman, it was a workhorse.  Say what you will about Sony, they made excellent products in the 80s and 90s.*  That walkman went everywhere with me, and my dad had sharpied my name and phone number on the inside, just in case it ever went missing. It never did.

Do BMG and Columbia House exist anymore?  I'm sure I got six tapes for a penny (plus shipping and handling and a commitment to buy more and ruined credit at a tender age) dozens of times over. I remember that the "I Love Rock And Roll" tape by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts was the first tape I ever bought.  But I had tons more.  And I listened to so much music.  At some point in the 80s, I started moving over to CDs, and I amassed quite a collection of music.  Again, thanks in large part to BMG and Columbia House.

When I was in college, I started making mix tapes with purpose.  They were time consuming and meticulous.  I had a boom box that was dual cassette AND CD, so I could make tapes off of tapes and CDs.  There was a lot more thought put into them than the early tapes.  I was terrified of my CDs being stolen, so I never put them in much of a carrying case.  But I could always re-make tapes.  The walkman, after being dropped dozens of times, died shortly after I came back from England in the mid 90s.  I think it made my first semester or two of law school, but there's only so much abuse a device can take.

But it was in law school that the mix tapes turned into art.  It was a procrastination tool to the extreme. Every finals, I HAD to make a mix tape.  I'd write down the songs, their times and the time left on the tape.  I'd listen to the whole thing over and over again for cohesion and flow and overall completeness. Each side of the tape had to be its own complete work, but it had to flow with the other side as well.  Relampago often helped me with these projects, since my stereo was near the floor, and I was sitting for hours there pulling music out of the CD racks and looking for the right songs.  He was as much of a music critic as Celosa is now with Graham.  I'd write down all of the songs on the label inside the cassette, and I kept most of the legal pads where I constructed the mix.   I had to finish it before finals were over, but usually, it was done well before then.  I'd usually study with the mix playing.

Most of the mixes were kept in the car for the most part, first in the Suburban, then in my Explorer.  I had a travelling case that held something like 40 or so tapes, and it sat on the floor in front of the middle console.  But sometimes I'd bring them inside to listen to.  Most of the tapes were 47 minutes a side, but some were a 60 minutes.  Some of the mixes were excellent, favorites that I still consider pretty good collections of music.  Others were more of a time and place indicator, and listening to them would instantly remind me of that period of my life and whatever was going on then. To this day, there are some songs that I automatically assume will come after others, because I heard that song ordering so many times on the mixes.

At some point in the late 90s, CD-RWs came out, and I thought about making CD mixes. They were MUCH more time consuming on the technical side, and slightly more difficult to catch for cohesion, because the song wasn't playing all the way through as the mix was made.  After the loooooooooong time it took to rip the song from a CD onto the computer, I just had to order the music in the way I thought would work, and it'd start writing. I wasn't listening throughout the selection and insertion process like I was with the tapes.  In making the tapes, I'd have an idea of where the mix was going, but sometimes it didn't work when I heard one song followed by the next.  There, I could just rewind and find another song that worked better.  With CDs, I'd have to rewrite the whole thing.  I made a few, CDs early on, but I preferred the tapes.

In late August of 1999, while I was in Washington DC for about six weeks looking for work after law school, someone broke into the Explorer and stole a pair of rollerblades that was in the back seat. And they stole all of the mix tapes.  All of them.  I still think about it every now and then.  Who steals mixtapes? They mean absolutely NOTHING to anyone but the person who made them and maybe one or two other people.  The tapes themselves aren't worth anything.  But they mean a lot to the people who owned them.  A year or so after that, someone else broke into my car and stole the stereo.  Its replacement did not have a tapedeck, because I didn't have any tapes anymore and I was unlikely to ever have them again.

Fortunately, I'm a packrat.   I still had most of the legal pads where I plotted out the mixtapes.  And I embarked on a two year project to reconstruct them onto CD.  Technology improved, though it still seemed like the ripping process was still painful.  And in about two years, mainly when I was in Berkeley, I was able to reconstruct most of them onto CD.  I even made a few mixes for CD only, mainly road trip mixes (Taos Roadtrip 2001 is a particular favorite).  The CDs, like their tape predecessors before them, lived in my car in a carrying case until the Explorer crash in 2011.  I'm not quite sure what happened to them after that.  Their track listings are backed up on my computer.

iTunes came out in the mid-00s, and in 2005, I embarked on the great CD ripping project. All of my music is digital now.  I put all of my CDs away in 2012 during the kitchen renovation, and I can't believe I'm typing that I'm vaguely considering putting them in the family garage sale we're having in a few weeks.  I consider them backups now.

All of the surviving mixes have been turned into iTunes playlists.  They've made it across three computers and are backed up on two external hard drives.  I listen to them every now and then when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I still make playlists. Most of them are for exercise, but sometimes for long drives as well.  But they seem different somehow. Dragging and dropping a piece of music into a playlist is so effortless. I don't have to worry about how much time is left.  I usually do playlists on "shuffle" so song order isn't all that important.  It's easy to skip to the next song if I don't feel like listening to whatever comes up.  There isn't generally a narrative or theme, though some of them do have that sense of time and place that the original playlists did.  I'm headed on a road trip next week, so I'm certain I'll be putting some music together for it.  And maybe, for old times sake, I'll draw out the mix making process to really make it special.  

*Side note: I still have the Dream Machine Cube (third one down on the list) next to my bed.  It keeps perfect time (unlike the HD clock radio I got a few years ago), and until I got my ipad three years ago, I used it as my alarm. Thing has been next to my bed from 1986ish to 2014.  I have no intention whatsoever of replacing it.