Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

The last 18 hours or so

So yesterday, I sat in a conference and ate a muffin. The conference was to end at 12:45 and I was planning on leisurely getting myself ready for the MS150. I had packing to do, I had to put the various tags on my bike, and I had some mental preparation to work through.

At around noon, I started feeling a sharpish pain in my middle back. I was uncomfortable, but it was bearable. It progressively got worse. By the time the conference was wrapping up, I was eager to get home. I had self-parked that morning, which is unusual for me at that conference because it's at a hotel and it's easier to valet and get there on time. By the time I got there, though, the valet were full.

I drove myself home around 1:00. I wasn't feeling good at all, and I was beginning to worry about driving.

I got home and went straight to bed, worrying the hell out of graham when I told him I was in a lot of pain and I wasn't OK.

I tried heat. I tried the dogs. I tried drinking water. Nothing worked. Graham called my dad, who was having lunch with my mom and his resident a few blocks away. They palpated me, asked a lot of questions and decided it was likely gastritis. It was bad, but probably very treatable. Tbe MS150 and I could get togther. I was supposed to take two Prilosec and some Maylox, and I should bw back to good in about five hours. At around two thirty, I took the Prilosec. At around three, I sent Graham out for Maylox. Somewhere in here is where the puking started. I'd heave for a good five minutes, and all the contents of my stomach would be expunged. At around four, I had Graham call kittyajh and ask about what options were if I wasn't feeling great in the morning, but improved by afternoon.

In the meantime, one of the biggest Texas sping showers was forming. The MS150 team ultimately decided to cancel the first day of the ride because of the weather. I'd heard that the camp in La Grange was a) a lake and b) no longer waterproof.

All of this time, I was trying to sleep through the pain. No luck.

Finally, I conceded defeat and called my dad to tell him I was getting Graham to take me to the ER.

We rolled in right at seven, during a shift change. Still, I was in a room within ten minutes. I saw a doctor within an hour (he knew my father, and he was a pretty awesome doc), and I was on pain medication by 9:00. They also drew blood, which later showed that my white count was at 17,000. At around 9:30, they took me down for an ultrasound, and within three minutes of getting those images back, the doctor told me that I had a lot of gallstones, and They'd have to be removed. "Tonight?: I stupidly asked. "No reason to wait." He asked me to talk to my dad to find out which surgeon he wanted. My dad immediately named one.

It took maybe an hour to get things organized, and I could feel the Demerol wearing off. I asked for more, and immediately I puked when I got the shot.

We went to a room, and my surgeon stopped by to explain everything that was happening to me. I don't really need the gallbladder, my body will learn to live without it, and I had I was settled in to a shared room around ten thirty, and my parents showed up shortly afterward. By eleven, everyone was gone, and I was hitting the morphine hard. I slept fitfully. My roommate, an elderly lady who appeared to have some sort of GI problem, never turned off her TV, though she did have the sound off. I was still in considerable pain, despite the meds, and nurses and aides would come in from time to time to take vitals from one or both of us or otherwise do something.

At around 7:45, the OR came for me, and I was in the operating room by 8:11. I don't recall much of the operating room. My gallbladder was removed arthroscopically. I have three incisions, one in my belly button and three around where the gallbladder was. Everything was over and done with less than 24 hours after the first onset of symptoms.

I've been on different drugs today. I can't remember the name of the pain meds, but they are oral, not injected. And I got moved to a private room, though I'm not sure why. Friends and family members have stopped by at various points, and I figured out how to upload at facebook a few hours ago.

I haven't talked to any of my docs yet about the surgery, so I don't know how long I'll be here. Maybe I go home tonight. Maybe the next day. I'm supposed to be off work for two weeks, but we'll see about that. I have too much going on right now to take off that much time.

At any rate, this sucks. I puked a good half hour ago, but Claudia brought me her laptop for posting and browsing, and she brought season 4 of Buffy. I'm missing the MS150 entirely, which makes me ridiculously sad since I worked so hard on it, and my friends gave money for me to do it, though I guess that this could have as easily happened on the bike, which would have been bad. Very bad.

Apologies for the incoherent-ness of this post. The anti-nausea drug they gave me is apparently prone to making me sleepy and loopy. And I hurt like a motherfucker.

Further reports as events warrant.

And Happy belated Birthday to jungleeyedgirl. So sorry I didn't get it earlier.



( 21 comments — Say something )
Apr. 19th, 2009 03:59 am (UTC)
Damn, and here I have been bitching about a little second vasectomy. I'm really sorry you're in the hospital, on the positive side they found it before things went really bad. Good choice to get it checked out.

*hugs* Try and get a lot of rest. Fuck work, it will be there eventually, take care of yourself.

Apr. 19th, 2009 04:47 am (UTC)
Holy Crap! Scary and unpleasant. I'm glad you're out of the woods now.

Apr. 19th, 2009 04:56 am (UTC)
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{'stina}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I'm glad you got it treated quickly, and I'm sending lots of vibes that you'll heal quickly and easily and well, with the healing power of puppy kisses and kitty purrs.

*fierce but gentle huggings*

Apr. 19th, 2009 05:23 am (UTC)
I'm so sorry, but very glad that you're doing okay.

It is a real bummer that you had to miss the bike ride, but the next one you participate in, you have to have a tee-shirt made up that says, "This Is For My Gallbladder"
Apr. 19th, 2009 06:09 am (UTC)
OMG!!! sound like this sucks like a mad sucking thing.

I am glad to know you are receiving the finest care!

rest and recover, dear girl.
Apr. 19th, 2009 06:23 am (UTC)
feel better!!
Apr. 19th, 2009 07:44 am (UTC)
Holy Cow! Get better soon! Seriously!!
Apr. 19th, 2009 08:20 am (UTC)
Very gentle hugs. I had that a few years ago. Believe me, you'll feel much better once things settle again.

The MS150 really got hit with rain, as did CMA. We didn't miss much after all.

Got the candle lit for energy for you.
Apr. 19th, 2009 11:21 am (UTC)
Get well sooner rather than later. Hugs from The Hill Country.
Apr. 19th, 2009 01:34 pm (UTC)
Hope your feeling better quickly.
Apr. 19th, 2009 02:31 pm (UTC)
Whoa. I am really glad they figured it out quickly, and that you've got so many trained professionals looking out for you. {{HUGS}} and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Apr. 19th, 2009 02:51 pm (UTC)
Wow--so glad you were able to get this attended to so quickly. Feel better soon!
Apr. 19th, 2009 04:54 pm (UTC)
What an ordeal!

By the way, for what it's worth, I suspect all the training you underwent--the boot camps, the lifting, the biking, etc.--is going to make your recovery a lot easier and quicker.

Feel better and heal up - training for next year's MS 150 begins soon!
Apr. 20th, 2009 04:59 am (UTC)
Oh man! That sucks. I'm sorry you've been in so much pain, but glad to hear everything seems to be fine. Hope your recovery is quick!
Apr. 20th, 2009 08:13 am (UTC)
I had a feeling it might be a gall bladder problem, especially when you got to the puking park. According to my brother-in-law's mom, the pain is equivalent to having a baby. Oy. I've put off the surgery though due to no money and the resultant inability to miss work. I was mostly fine buy watching my diet, but I think it's getting to the point where everything is setting it off now. In other words, getting it out now was probably the best thing.

I hope you recover quickly and thoroughly. I heard the biggest issue will be having bouts of diarrhea until your body compensates for the lack of a gall bladder. Not looking forward to that bit.
Apr. 23rd, 2009 02:33 am (UTC)
That bit hasn't happened to me, although I will say that things in that area have been. Um. Looser.

And no, I can't believe we're having this conversation either.

Apr. 29th, 2009 01:51 am (UTC)
hehehe Yeah, it is an odd conversation. ;)
Apr. 20th, 2009 05:04 pm (UTC)
Don't feel bad about the MS150. As someone said - it's not about the ride really - it's about the money raised for the cause. So you still did your part! Of course we really know it is about the ride. ;o)

I did hear that they were extending an offer for those that didn't ride the MS150, they would transfer your registration to the Sam's Club ride up in Frisco. That might be too soon for you though. I wonder if they might let you do that for the one in October though. I plan to ride in that one and it sounds pretty fun. I know of at least 5 other Ol' Army Cycling team members that are doing it.

Just be glad this didn't happen on the ride!
Apr. 20th, 2009 07:39 pm (UTC)
Yeah, I keep thinking that this was going to happen sooner or later, and if it had happened on the ride, it would have been much, much worse.

I can't do the Sam's Club ride. That's way too soon, but if I could do it for October, I'm definitely in. Please keep me in the loop.

I felt horrible knowing that you were dealing with all the logistics of the ride and not being able to do a thing. My mom and Graham say that I was asking about the ride when I woke up from anesthesia. I think they were annoyed that I wasn't letting it go...
Apr. 20th, 2009 08:37 pm (UTC)
*HUGS* What an ordeal! Glad you are on the mend!!!
Apr. 23rd, 2009 02:32 am (UTC)
Wait. What?

See, this is the sort of shit that happens the ONE time I leave town without a computer, and actively do not seek one out to check up on my people.


I know *exactly* how you feel, only without all the puking, thankfully.

I'm glad you're healing, and that you are reading His Dark Materials. :-)

( 21 comments — Say something )


'stina is, surprisingly enough, a lawyer from Houston, Texas who rambles about quite a number of things.

Find more about Weather in Houston, TX
Click for weather forecast


June 2017
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by chasethestars