Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Today, we got up at nine, feeling better than the day before.

We had actual stuff to do today, so we got dressed in real people clothes for the first time since the accident, and ventured forward into the world in the Suburban. It still hurts to move my neck quickly, and my arm is still in a bit of pain, but it's clearly getting better.

Our first stop was the police station. Our friend Dan the police officer stopped by last night to check up on us, and he recommended that we check at the physical accident division office to see if we can get better results. We gave our names and the accident report number to the officer and explained that we were looking for the name of the other driver and his insurance information to file with our insurance. After asking another officer, she gave us that info pretty quickly. Definitely one of the smoother encounters with the bureaucracy I've had. We still have to wait awhile for the accident report, but this is a nice start.

Then, we drove to the Apple Store with the on-life-support body of my iPad and the paperwork for the Apple Care Plan. Walking into the Galleria, Graham commented that he had very little trust in people right now. I said that I agreed, and that I thought the chances of getting out of there with positive results (defined as a fixed ipad at little or no cost) was low. 8 percent, to be exact.

I had made an appointment online with the Genius bar, and within a minute or two of walking into the store, a man came to help. I started explaining by pointing to my bruised and battered arm, then opening the Apple box to show the pitiful state of my iPad. I then showed him the Protection Plan paperwork, and looked hopefully at him. He said that my suspicions that the warranty didn't cover this sort of thing were correct, but he'd see what he could do. He left. Five minutes later, he returned, holding a box. He explained that though it wasn't covered, they do have some discretion in these sorts of extraordinary circumstances, and that since he had one in stock, he'd give me a new iPad. This was well beyond my wildest dreams.

Graham and I left the second miracle of the crash having a much better outlook on humanity.

After that, we were in perfect time to meet my parents for lunch. And after that, we stopped by my work so I could take part in a conference call and just explain what happened to my boss and co-workers. I'll go in tomorrow for a few hours, and then keep on expanding my time at work more and more over the next week or so.

I think we got home around 2:30, maybe 3:00. And I could definitely feel that I'd engaged in much more activity than before. I took a Vicodin, my first of the day, and relaxed with my new (again) iPad while Graham ran a few errands of his own. I also passed on my new knowledge on to my insurance company.

My friend Buttery stopped by to check up on us later on in the afternoon.

I don't really like the Vicodin, but I do admit that it makes me feel a lot better, especially in the bruised and tender parts of me. I have taken a lot of ibuprofen in the last few days too.

Oh, and Celosa became a minor local celebrity with an article about her in the local alt weekly blog.


( 3 comments — Say something )
May. 4th, 2011 01:01 pm (UTC)
Gorgeous Pic of The Girl!
May. 4th, 2011 02:45 pm (UTC)
that's cool about the ipad...but i'm telling you, knowing that the three of you walked away from that with minor(ish) injuries is just amazing.

i may not know you in person, but my heart is *so* glad to know you're ok and that celosa walked away uninjured.
May. 4th, 2011 04:20 pm (UTC)
Wow! We've been off the grid for a few days, so I'm just now reading about all this. So glad you're all okay. What an ordeal you've all been through.
( 3 comments — Say something )